Saturday, February 28, 2015

Expatriate Tax Information

Expatriates who live in Puerto Rico are subject to Puerto Rico taxation.  This includes US citizens who live in Puerto Rico for at least 183 days per year.  For non-us expatriates there are comprehensive tax and employment visa requirements.  Personal tax returns are due the first April 15 following the end of the tax year.  Extensions are available.

The following must file a Puerto Rico income tax return:
• Individuals (Puerto Rico residents), who had gross income over $5,000; 
• Individuals (non-resident of Puerto Rico, citizen of the United States) who had a gross income over $5,000 provided that the taxes have been paid at source
• Individuals (non-resident aliens) who had a gross income from sources within Puerto Rico. 

There are more rules and this post contains simplifications and is not comprehensive and my be forward looking. Additionally, as always, a professional should be consulted and be presented with specific information.





The information on this website is general information and is for educational use only and has not been verified for accuracy nor completeness. You, the reader, should further research your specific individual situation. In addition you should contact your accounting professional for professional advice derived from specific details from your structure and financial position.



To comply with requirements imposed by the Department of the Treasury, Isla CPA informs you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this post (including any attachments) is not intended or written by the practitioner to be used, and that it cannot be used by any  taxpayer, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer, and (ii) supporting the promotion or marketing of any transactions or matters addressed herein.